Open to students in Germany, Switzerland and Austria, 16 years of age and older. Do not enter if you are not located in Germany, Switzerland or Austria at the time of entry.
Official rules for the IBM Master the Mainframe Contest Germany, Austria and Switzerland 2012
- Registration website: To qualify for participation in the contest, you must first complete the online registration form. Registration is open from March 26, 2012 until July 02, 2012 11:59PM (GMT +1). Follow all instructions and complete the online registration form in its entirety. This process does not constitute entry, but rather registration as a potential entrant. You must be 16 years of age or older and be enrolled full-time or part-time at a university or high school in Germany, Switzerland or Austria.
- Submit your entry: Once students have completed the on-line registration form, IBM will confirm each student's registration with an email to the address provided by the student (within three business days). IBM will provide a mainframe user ID before the contest begins on May 1, 2012 to all students who register on or before April 30, 2012. Students who register on May 1, 2012 or later will be provided with a mainframe user ID within five business days of receipt of their registration. System resources are finite for this contest and will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis. If sufficient system resources do not exist, the entrant will not be allowed to compete in the contest. For Parts 1 and 2 of the contest, students submit entries by transmitting data sets to an IBM user ID on the mainframe, as described in the contest instructions. Contestants must submit an entry for Part 1 before they submit an entry for Part 2. To enter Part 3, after completion of Part 1 & Part 2, students must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Students will receive a new user ID for Part 3 (within five business days of receipt of the student's email). Contest judges (as described in Rule #3) will log into the student's account for Part 3 to verify the completion of Part 3 tasks; no formal submission of datasets needs to be made. All entries must be submitted to and received by IBM by 11:59PM (GMT + 1) on July 31, 2012. Entry is deemed submitted by the authorised account holder of the email address used as the user name at the time of registration. Authorised account holder is defined as the natural person who is assigned to the email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted email address. If your registration form is incomplete, you will not be eligible for the contest. IBM assumes no responsibility for computer system, hardware, software, network program, or other errors, failures, or malfunctions of any kind, whether human or technical in nature, in the transmission or receipt of entries or registrations. Part 3 of the contest will be judged according to criteria in rule #3. IBM will not return the participants' entries. IBM will not provide individual feedback regarding incorrect entries.
- Part 3 entries will be judged by a panel of qualified IBM employees. Panels' decisions are final in all matters relating to the contest and no correspondence will be entered into. Entrants will be judged on the number of predefined tasks they are able to complete in order before the end of the contest, as outlined in Part 3 of the contest instructions. IBM reserves the right to cancel or suspend this contest should a virus, bugs or other causes beyond IBM's control corrupt the administration, security, or proper judging of the contest. If IBM detects harmful system activity, harmful network activity, or use of the systems for activity beyond the scope of the contest, IBM reserves the right to remove system resources or to revoke user IDs from the contest. IBM is not responsible for technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software. Submission of an entry constitutes your acceptance of the conditions and rules of the contest.
- The contest is open to students 16 years or older who are enrolled full-time or part-time at a university or high school (includes trainees and apprentices) in Germany, Switzerland or Austria and are residing in Germany, Switzerland or Austria. Students may only submit one entry in each part (Part 1, Part 2 & Part 3) of the contest. Students who have not registered for the contest during the registration period will not be eligible to submit an entry to the contest. Proof of enrolment may be required. Employees of IBM (including regulars, contractors and interns) and judges of the Mainframe Contest and the immediate family members and household members of each are not eligible to enter the contest.
- Part 1 Prizes (250): One prize will be awarded to each of the first two hundred fifty students to complete Part 1 of the contest correctly (T-shirt).
- Part 2 Prizes (25): One prize will be awarded to the first 25 students to complete Part 2 of the contest 100% correctly. The prize is a Kindle eBook Reader. In addition all students completing Part 2 100% correctly will be invited to upload their resumes in the Student Opportunity System, a popular recruiting tool accessible to all IBM clients and Business Partners. To compete in Part 2, you must complete Part 1 of the competition first.
- Part 3 Prizes: Up to five Apple iPads are available for students who score 10 points or higher in Part 3 (total of 15 points). To compete in Part 3, you must successfully complete Part 1 and 2 of the competition. Among the students who score 10 points or higher, up to 5 highest scored students will be awarded the prize. In the case of a tie, IBM will provide a tie breaker question. Tie breaker questions will be provided until a winner is decided.
- No cash value or substitutions of prizes except by Sponsor who may change prizes or models of equipment as availability changes or make such substitutions as necessary to meet export requirements. Prizes will be delivered to confirmed winners. Winners of trips must pay all incidental expenses associated with travel and any expenses not specified and are responsible for proper travel documentation. Entitlement to prizes expires 6 months after the contest ends (July 31, 2012). Panels' decisions are final in all matters relating to the contest and no correspondence will be entered into. All right of appeal is excluded.
- By accepting prizes, winners further agree to release IBM and its subsidiaries, affiliates and related companies and each of their respective officers, directors, employees and agents (the "Contest Parties") from any and all liability, loss or damage of any kind arising out of or in connection with the winners' participation in this contest, or with respect to awarding, receipt, possession, use and/or misuse of any prize, or to participation in the contest or in prize-related activities. By accepting prizes, winners further acknowledge that the Contest Parties have neither made, nor are in any manner responsible or liable for, any warranty, representation or guarantee, expressed or implied in fact or in law, relative to prize or to any portion thereof, including but not limited to its quality, merchantability, mechanical condition, or fitness for a particular purpose.
- Except where prohibited and subject to the acceptance of a prize by the winner, consents to the use by the sponsor of his/her name, likeness, and biographical information for advertising and promotional purposes worldwide without limitations and without additional compensation.
- Winners of Part 1 and of Part 2 will be notified via email (within 1 month of the time stamp on their data set submissions for Part 1 and Part 2, respectively). Part 3 winners on their account will be notified by express mail and via e-mail latest one month after contest ends on July 31, 2012 and will be required to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and release of liability/publicity within 7 days of notification (except where prohibited) or prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate winner on the basis of the criteria set forth herein. Prizes are not transferable and cannot be taken as cash. Prizes will be delivered to the address specified in the winners' registration forms. Delivery only within Germany, Switzerland and Austria.
- By submitting entries, the entrant grants IBM and its agents of this contest the right to publish, use, adapt, sell, edit and/or modify such entry (and electronic communications related to such entry) in any way, in commerce, and in any and all media worldwide, including but not limited to the Internet, without limitation and without compensation to the entrants. The entrant also grants IBM a worldwide irrevocable, nonexclusive and royalty free right and license to use, have used, copy, reproduce, transfer, modify and/or display any information contained in their entry in whole or part and in any form without compensation. Entries must be entrant's own original creations, must not infringe on third party rights, must not have won previous awards, must not have been posted on another web site prior to submission and must be suitable for publication. Winners may be required to sign an additional affidavit/license (except where prohibited) to this effect. Entrants agree to be bound by the official contest rules.
- At IBM's discretion, entrants may be required to submit source code to substantiate results reported in the entry.
- The entrant agrees to allow International Business Machines Corporation and its subsidiaries to store and use his contact information, including names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses, anywhere they do business. Such information will be processed and used in connection with our relationship, and may be provided to contractors, Business Partners, and assignees of International Business Machines Corporation and its subsidiaries for uses consistent with their collective business activities, including communicating with you (e.g. for promotions, for market research, etc.).
- The Sponsors of this competition are IBM Deutschland GmbH, IBM Schweiz AG and IBM Österreich Internationale Büromaschinen Gesellschaft m.b.H. IBM and the IBM Logos are trademarks of IBM Corp registered in many jurisdictions worldwide. A current list of IBM trademarks is available on the web at "Copyright and trademark information" at http://ibm.com/legal/copytrade.shtml. Other company, product and services marks may be trademarks or services marks of others.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2012 All Rights Reserved